Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Another Beckett bites the dust.

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 14:44:52 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Our new Beckett ($197.00) just quit! This is the last Beckett we'll ever
buy. We returned it to Home Depot for a refund. What pumps have you found
to be the least problematic? This is for a 2000g pond with about 10 medium
size koi.

My Becketts have always perform well (7-8 years), but than I don't have
them in the pond, they're at the tail end of the filter system so pumping
clear water. I have a small Beckett in a box filter in the QT that is over
12 years old. Only clean it once/year.

Most everyone swears by Mag Drives.... I know I had one encased in a mesh
basket for quite some time (2-3 years) and it was fine in the pond. Only
removed as barrel filter was installed.

As far as size, one needs to know pipe size, length and head/height for
recommendations. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I say Mag Drive. Home Depot grinds suppliers for price and often does
not allow them to sell same item elsewhere. For instance, most of the
major tool companies that sell at HD offer cheaper made Home Depot-only
products for this reason (plastic gears instead of metal etc.). Wouldn't
be surprised if Beckett is like this.