Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Prunes tree disease

On Sep 3, 1:55?pm, Fish wrote:
I planted a very small prunes few month back, it grew 2 feet strongly
and suddenly it started to developed some type of disease in southern
calif.

the leaves have small holes in it, they are droppy, many become
yellow. Most have holes except
the young one.

I use Ortho Garden Disease Control, no good. Use different product to
keep insect away, no good.

Go to nursery, they point me to different directions depending on whom
I ask, they are few time more expensive than the tree itself.

the branches become darken as if they have fungus infection, but buds
grow on them.

see some flies who use the leaf as bathroom or nursery for the young.

Out of wit, anyone who has idea what happened to the tree and how to
cure it?

Obvious to me that you bought infected nursery stock. Since you
haven't any time invested in that tree I would dig it up immediately
before it infects your other plants and bring it back where you bought
it and see if they'll return your money... if not just leave it there
(not worth arguing over a plum tree), you don't want that plant on
your property. In any case never buy anything there again... you
definitely do not want a replacement tree from them. Then heavily
drench the spot where you planted that tree with a general
insecticide, Sevin is good.... wait a month and if you want plant
another tree there... just be sure to always buy from a reputable
nursery, even if you need to pay more. I would suggest that with
fruit trees especially that you buy bare root from one of the larger
mail order nurseries, their stock is always true to form and it's near
impossible that bare root stock will be infected... it's the soil from
nursery stock that transmits disease, the problem is more common with
fruit trees, especially stone fruit. Either buy fruit trees from a
local nursery that grows their own in their own fields or buy bare
root mail order. I much prefer bare root, even though the trees will
be a smaller there won't be so long a recovery from transplant
shock... at the end of three years your bare root tree's growth will
exceed that of potted or balled trees. I'm always amazed at how
quickly bare root trees growth just takes off the very first season,
whereas potted or balled trees really don't show any noticeable growth
for the first three years and then need another two years before you
can see that they're not struggling anymore. A six foot potted/balled
sapling will still be only six foot at the end of three years (maybe
even less if you prune it as directed, whereas that bare root four
foot twig will be a nice bushy eight footer after three years and will
already be fruiting. I know, lots of people open that small carton
and see that dormant twig and will feel cheated, don't. Carefully
plant that twig as per directions and right before your very eyes
you'll see a miracle... within six weeks of planting you will see buds
swelling and it will leaf out and grow without missing a beat like it
was always there from a seed. I've never been disappointed with
plants from http://www.naturehills.com, and they are always very
helpful with answering your questions, and if the person you're
speaking to doesn't know they won't BS you, they'll say they don't
know but will find out, they do get back to you.

I've tried http://www.arborday.org, they send dead stock, and when you
call their service dept. they are not accomodating... their
operational concept is kind of smarmy, with all their memborship hype,
promoting themself like they are a charity, they're definitely not...
they offer no bargains, I think they are a big rip off.