Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Railway Sleepers ?

In article ,
"CWatters" writes:

| I forgot to mention that old creosoted railway sleepers should not be used
| for areas where people may sit or children play. Creosote is now banned for
| most applications (mildly carcinogenic I think). It also leeches out in hot
| weather and makes a right mess of clothes.

That is misleading. Creosote is somewhat carcinogenic and is banned, but
it is nothing like as harmful as is made out. And it does NOT leach out
of OLD sleepers significantly, because it has already done so as much
as it will do. It is only the new, imitation and imported, ones that
do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.