Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Erythrina cristagalli

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Great information, Nick and thank you. The pundits say it will go to -10 if
| covered with a thick mulch. We were interested to know what experience
| people have of growing it in colder conditions than we have here because we
| think the trouble with us will be wet soil, unless we put it in a well
| drained spot - something that can be hard to find in this garden!

I may rig up a snail house, er, cover for it this winter and see if
that helps.

As I have posted before, I managed to get Passiflora incarnata to go
(flowering now!) by planting it in the rain shadow of the house,
where its roots can run out. And Cyclamen coum is almost completely
hardy and will even naturalise itself in such conditions (which may
include under conifers).

I don't know if that trick would help with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.