Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Compost bin design?

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:

I bought this one about 10 years ago, it works very well and it's
still going strong (it's the only one I have seen that has a 25 year
warranty - I suspect it will last even longer and/or outlast me).

http://tinyurl.com/2l4fkg

http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...saver_17_1.php

My neighbor bought this one this past spring, he's very unhappy with
it... he will soon be even more unhappy as this will be its first
winter here in fridgid upstate NY. He purchased the large "400"
model... I often see him cranking away for like ten minutes at a time,
at least it will build big biceps. I don't ever do anything with mine
except toss stuff into the top and pull out sweet smelling jet black
humous from the bottom, I don't even bother to stir anymore, the one I
have really cooks.

http://tinyurl.com/2p7dvx

http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...post-tumbler-s...

I'll second both comments. I've been using the Soilmaker forever. Works
like
a charm. And, I know 3 people who are disgusted with the tumbler type of
composter. All 3 are the type who fall for anything novel, whether it
works
or not, so I have no sympathy for them at all.

It's strange how some people's brains operate. My neighbor noticed my
composter when I first moved here, he came over to inspect right after
I set it up. He asked if that "little thing" worked, as if I moved it
200 miles from where I lived previously and was setting it up because
it didn't work. I spent over an hour answering all his questions
about composting... I could tell he knew nothing... and he's supposed
to be the know-it-all up-stater farm boy... as if there are no rural
farms down-state on Long Island. A few days later he was setting up
some sort of composter contraption near his vegetable garden, a four
foot diameter cylinder of turkey wire with weed block cloth wrapped
around it, no lid. For three years I watched him stuff that stupid
thing with all sorts of garbage to compost but he never pulled out an
ounce of humous, there was no composting happening, I wonder why not.
Each spring he dumped out what was nothing but dried leaves, twigs,
and household garbage, all of it discernable as the day he dumped it
in, just a bit slimey, and stunk worse than community outhouse. He
rototilled all that into his garden (then wondered why some of his
plants got diseased. This past spring I saw him setting up his new
expensive toy. A few days later when I was mowing and passing where
he was watering his garden I stopped to chat and in conversation I
asked about his new composter... he showed it off like it was his new
grandchild, I made no negative comments, in upstate lingo just said
"Yup, it sure looks nice, yep". At the end of the summer he came by
to see how my plants were doing and that's when he finally admitted
that he made a mistake in not listening to my recommendations, he was
very disappointed with his new composter, not only didn't it produce a
drop of humous, but the plastic crank mechanism was falling apart. I
suggested he try to return it, and to get one that sets on the ground
like mine.... we'll see, I don't think his ego will permit that. He
can buy six like mine for what he paid for that elitist POS. Btw,
he's been spending quite a bit of money on boxes of composter
enzyme... mine is on the ground and I have all the micro-organisms
doing their thing plus tons of earthworms, I can pull out a handful of
worms just by lifing the lid and reaching in. If I had to spend all
that money I wouldn't bother to compost. When I bought mine over ten
years ago it cost $59.... I even suckered myself into ordering a box
of enzyme starter powder when I placed my order, I never used it,
never even opened the box, I just recently gave it to my neighbor.
Composting should be easy and nearly free... so far my $59 composter
has cost me like $6/yr and gives me about 50 gallons of perfect humous
each year.... I have ten 5 gallon contractor buckets filled to
overlfowing from just this summer... no putrid odor, smells exactly
like deep woods forest floor... if I didn't know better I'd mistake it
for wild mushrooms. My neighbor's tumbler composter smells like ripe
town dump.

Tell him to look up "anaerobic decomposition" online. He'll probably have a
stroke from the effort of figuring out how that applies to him.