Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_2_] Reel McKoi[_2_] is offline

Default water quality

"thorny rose" wrote in message
i have quite a few plants in the pond, 4 lillies, parrots feather,
canadian pondweed, various iris, mimulus and a few water soldiers. i
haven't done a water test for ages and i'm due a water change soon. i
will also get the filter media cleaned as soon as poss. can someone
give me some info on veggie filters, what plants do you have in them
and what do you do in winter when the plants die back. thanks.

I fill my veggie filter with fast growing plants such as pickerel weed,
iris, parrots feather and wherever there's space, a few water lettuce. My
VF acts as a settling tank also, catching a large amount of "crud" or mulm
as the water goes past the plant roots. By the time they die back in fall,
the pumps and filters are about already to be turned off for the winter.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.