Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Acorn squash cross

Ook said:

What is noteworthy of these, is that the seeds for *all* of these came out
of an ordinary looking acorn squash. Who would have thought that all of
this would come out of a normal acorn squash? I wish now I would have
planted 30 of these, just to see what kind of variety I would get. The
plants are large and quite vigorous. I think that I will save some of the
fruit and plant them next year to see what I get. The variety is a surprise,
but so far they are very edible.

Summer squashes (zucchini, crookneck, patty pan), acorn, delicata,
sweet potato squash, typical pumpkins* (and mini-pumpkins), and
spaghetti squash are all the same species (Cucurbita pepo) and will
cross easily. (There are some gourds that are also C. pepo and can
be quite bitter and very hard-shelled. If one of those crosses in,
the results will be inedible.)

The pepper squashes come in such a variety of shapes, colors and
vine lengths that you never know what they will result after a
random gene shuffle in your vegetable garden. Could be excellent,
could be super stringy, could be bland or could be so bitter you'll
spend the rest of the day trying to get that one taste out of your mouth.
(I speak from experience.)

*There are a few varieties of 'pumpkins' that are actually buttercup
squashes (the 'giant' types, and the blue and white pumpkins, the
'Cinderella' pumpkins). These are of the species C. maxima and are
distinguished by the rounded, corky-looking stems and may have a
'button' at the blossom end. There are a few tan colored 'pumpkins'
which are varieties of butternut squash, C. moschata. And then there
are the 'neck pumpkins' or cushaws (C. mixta).

(attributed to Don Marti)