Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default There's a rat in the compost ...

On 4 Sep, 19:00, Perry O'Dontal-Surgery wrote:
... what am I going to do?

(snip)
I'm more inclined to resite the bin atop a rubble foundation, to make it
hard if not impossible to burrow into. What is exercising me most at the
moment is this: if rats have been living in my compost heap for a while
now, and adding their own potentially Weyl-laden excreta to it, is the
existing compost still fit to be spread upon the garden at all?

I would give the compost another season to fully decompose but I
wouldn't get rid of it. You must wash your vegs always before eating,
wash your hands always after gardening etc. Just keep good hygiene.
I'd tend to also agree with what John has said about the compost being
cozy and you have perhaps provided a 5 stars hotel for them. Check
your access thoroughly too.