Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Compo[_2_] Compo[_2_] is offline

Default Ground Preparation

On 5 Sep, 10:22, "CWatters"
wrote:
"Nowhere" wrote in message

\snip\
I'd look at putting a membrane down and planting shrubs through that. I have
a bed that was previously a nettle patch. It's been covered for 5 months
with a heavy weight porous membrane while I wait for time to do something
with it. No sign of any regrowth unlike other areas. Some say that it
compacts the ground and makes it harder to replant later. I'm not that keen
a Gardner so I won't be doing that on a regular basis.

\snip\

I used a membrane covered with about 2 to 3 inches of gravel in two
sections of garden, each about 5x5M in area. In each case it worked
very well for three seasons, thereafter the most pernicious of the
weeds began to reappear through the membrane. A good idea for a semi-
permanent solution, especially if you pull the occasional weeds as
they reappear over time.

Regards,
Compo