Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default Phalaenopsis growing too well to flower?

"Kate" wrote in message
This is the first phalaenopsis I have owned, so I am not sure if I am
treating
it the right way for it to flower again. This growing season it has
produced
two new leaves which are large, shiny and healthy-looking. It has also
put out
several new roots, like fat silvery snakes with green heads! However,
when
should I start looking for flower shoots, and from where are they
produced,
please? It looks like the original flowers grew from below `soil` level
but I
don`t know if flower stems form higher up as the plant gets bigger.

I recently read they need a "cool" period for a few weeks to initiate
blooming. I'm going to leave mine on the porch until the nights are in the
high 50s to early 60s ... then it's into the sunroom to await the flowers.

The same article said they wont flower if the temperature is above 82.