Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Rose of Sharon and whitefly

Hola, amigas/amigos -

I am getting rid of a bamboo that has gotten out of control.
Not spreading, but shedding those little paper-y thingies
all over the place.

I asked a landscape architect relative what to put in its
place. He suggested Rose of Sharon, which is a kind of Hibiscus.

I have had TERRIBLE luck with some exotic Hibiscus that
I bought at the Huntington plant sale years ago. Could
never control the )**^$^*& whitefly, no matter what I tried.
I do not remember what kind of Hibiscus they were; lost
the tag long ago.

So now I come to the question: Does anyone know
whether Rose of Sharon is subject to whitefly as well?
If so, no use planting it.

This is So. Calif coastal, Zone 24/8.

TIA