Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DaveH DaveH is offline

Default Tiffen Mennonite: Tastes like smoked bacon!

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 03:19:59 GMT, Steve wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:03:44 -0400, DaveH
wrote:

This tomato is new for us this year. Have you tried it? Smashing
flavor. This heirloom tastes uncannily like smoked bacon, and very
good bacon at that.

I grew that a year or two ago. Fantastic flavor, but a very weak plant
that hated the summer heat, here.
Was that your experience?

Zone 6, south-central PA, very dry summer but average heat, lots of 90
deg days. I water extensively in during the vegetative state.

Regarding plant vigor -- similar observations, but I stagger my tomato
plantings and this plant went in at July's end, so it's only now
really maturing as the weather is now moderating.

Nevertheless, clearly a weaker, open-pollinated type. But the flavor
is so unique I may throw the dice next year and plant half a dozen
over a 6 week period starting mid-May.

When you're a tomato nut, it's always fun to savor a new, superior
taste, even if vigor, etc. is wanting.
Dave