Old 03-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Burl

Default Cats again

Well, sure - product documentation is designed to show the product in the
best possible light - I've never considered that a negative thing. It's just
a starting point and I'm OK with that.

I have been using it for two years and it is working for me. There are some
things that come to mind as to why I consider it successful. First is that
although I prefer dogs I'm not a cat hater so I am willing to have some give
and take with pets and wildlife in general. Also, using Cocoa mulch as a
repellent is not the only thing I do, like all pest problems it's a balance
of repelling and attracting. So, I did leave one flower bed for the cats to
....uh, enjoy :-) so I'm not on a eradication campaign.

On, the moldy and disgusting issue - I had about a 1/2 bag of Cocoa mulch
left that I stored for the winter in the plastic bag - not sealed but just
kind of "mostly" out of the weather. It did get some moisture in it. Whoooo
that did get gross and moldy. BUT where I have it spread in my
Strawberry/Alyssum bed (about 20' by 2 1/2') it didn't appear to mold at
all. We just went through all the bed a week or so ago and it looks great.
It was a southern exposure so that undoubtably helped with keeping mold
away. I bet if it was a northern exposure or an area that would make good
mushroom habitat it would get gross.

We love it. We have it as the from the mulch around our blueberries and
strawberries in our favorite outside morning coffee place - right outside
our kitchen door.

I guess spring has sprung - it's hailing here in Seattle!

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:16:15 GMT, "Burl" wrote:

Cocoa mulch documentation

propaganda!

I didn't have the desire to read the advertising, but I assume it failed
to mention that cocoa mulch though it starts out pretty & nice-smelling
very soon gets all moldy & dusgusting?

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"