Old 06-09-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Amber like resin on cherry tree

Here in the U.S. we have a borer that gets into all trees that have pits for
seeds (peach, cherry, plums, apricots, and nectarines). To get rid of them,
we spray the trees while still dormant, but just before the leaves come out.
This coats the tree and will kill anything trying to eat into it. Some get a
latex house paint and mix a little bug poisen into the paint and paint the
tree from the second or third limb down to toe roots below the first inch of
the ground. Others will take a strand of wire that is fairly stiff, and
stick it into the hole in the tree, behind the ball of sap and jab it
upwards in an attempt to kill the borer.

Lilacs have a seperate borer, but it will also go to your fruit trees if
they are close enough. I cant tell you which method is the best, because I
still have problems with them. Good luck.

Dwayne

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:01:53 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

I pollarded our cherry tree last Winter. It has since put out new shoots
and
is looking reasonably healthy but today I noticed resin has exuded from a
few places on the trunk. It is hard to the touch - like amber. There are a
couple of pieces as large as a thumb.

Does the tree have a disease? Is it related to the pollarding?

David.

Don't want to worry you, but AIUI cherries are best pruned when in
active growth so that the wounds heal quickly, otherwise there is a
danger of silver leaf disease getting in. But whether the trunk
exuding resin is a symptom of SLD, I've no idea. Silvery leaves and
shoot and branch dieback are the obvious symptoms.

--
Chris