Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve Wolstenholme Steve Wolstenholme is offline

Default Phalaenopsis growing too well to flower?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:19:43 +0100, "Kate"
wrote:

Hallo, Diana
Fortunately, the plant is in a transparent pot so I can see the bark. It still
looks pretty whole, and the roots that I can see amongst it look healthy too, if
rather cramped. I`m a bit worried about re-potting, as all I have been able to
get locally is a proprietary orchid mix which feels too fine. I have bought
some Hortage to mix with it, and I might try Steve`s idea of using expanded
polystyrene. However, I have absolutely no idea of what proportions to use!

Kate

I just guess the proportions. In terms of volume the bark chips are
the greatest part while, by weight, it's the garden soil. The
polystyrene bits make the whole mix loose. The roots hold the mix
together rather than the other way around. I try to keep them under
control but sometimes they "climb out" of the pots.

Steve