Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ivica Kolar Ivica Kolar is offline

Default Help with Lemon Tree (grown from seed)

"Ivica Kolar" wrote in message

"Ivica Kolar" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. Two years ago, I took a lemon
seed (from a store-bought lemon), stuck it in a pot with regular
potting soil, and now I have a 3-foot tall, skinny lemon tree with
nice, fragrant leaves and some thorns. My problem is: I don't know
how to take care of it from here.

Should it be cut back? How tall will this thing grow? During the
spring and summer, I leave it in an east-facing window all day, and
turn it once a day. It has never been outdoors. It grows rapidly in
the summer, and stops growing during the fall/winter. What is the best
way to take care of my "baby"? This tree has become my pride and joy,
since I never expected it to germinate, let alone grow into a tree!

Here is a photo: http://home.epix.net/~tommonger/LemonTree.jpg

Thanks!
-Tom in Scranton, PA USA

Ed,
You will find many information and kind people ready to answer your
questions he
http://citrus.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=citrus
--ivica

Ed,
What is at the bottom of the pot? Is that saucer?
Be aware that citrus should not stay in the water.
Overwatering is the main killer of poted citrus trees.

Examining weather data for Avoca, PA, I see night temps droping below 13C:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

Here is the most valuable information for citrus care I have, citing
Millet (regular 'citrus guru' at given forum):
"You can put the tree anywhere as long as you keep the foliage (scion) and
the root system balanced.
If the tree is in front of a warm sunny window, then the roots must be
kept at 65F,
if the tree is kept in a low light area than the entire tree should be
kept at least 40F
to avoid the possibility of damage. If the tree is under grow lights,
then I would recommend that the roots be maintained at 65F+ - Millet"

Also, root stops functioning at the soil temp above 90F.

In other words, if the soil temp is below 40F (or above 90F) then the root
do not function.
If the root do not function and the plant is exposed to the sun, eh...
--ivica (citruholic, beginner)

Fahrenheits, err...
Correction for:
In other words, if the soil temp is below 40F (or above 90F) then the root
do not function.

Soil temps and root activity
55*F / 12.7*C to 94*F / 33.4*C = Active roots.
Above 95*F / 35*C = inactive roots
Below 54*F / 12.2*C = inactive roots

Above stripped from:
http://citrus.forumup.org/viewtopic....&mforum=citrus