Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM
paghat

Default Cat poo ( Cats again)

In article 4WLia.308440$L1.87556@sccrnsc02, "Burl" wrote:

Paghat,

You had a great write up a couple weeks ago about composting carnivore poop.
I don't know if you mentioned it but I'd been told that there's something
very dangerous for pregnant women about cat poop. Do you know anything about
that?

Pregnant women shouldn't go anywhere near a catbox because of Toxoplasma.
A good hot compost kills the shed oocysts, but in the catbox they just
wait patiently to get stirred up in the dust & infect any cat owner. It
can cause spontaneous abortion. Just petting the cat can be dangerous, but
the catbox is a unique threat because people stick a scoop in it & stir it
around, or discard the contents carelessly with particles easily breathed
in.

There are many other zoonotic diseases one can get from the household dog
or cat, usually from direct contact with the animals, the risk is vastly
greater from petting & loving an animal than from composting poo. I
wouldn't worry too much about any of it, except anyone pregnant ought
really to insist someone other than herself change the cat's litter.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"