Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default OT speaking of mozzies

, I, Marvo, say :

Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd
love to have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

There are two sorts, one masks your smell, the other deters them; the latter
kind are usually poisonious to some degree and can cause rashes and
irritation, and usually contain DEET. It only affects a small proportion of
users.

I went to Turkey this year and had no mossie spray and didn't get bitten
once. I suspect the Turks smell stronger than I.

If you're by the sea they probably won't bother you anyway, it's not their
ideal habitat. They like ponds and rivers and long grass, basically warm and
damp. They can't survive with no shade in extremely hot temperatures, and
last time I looked Turkey was like the fires of hell.

I don't believe that Turkish mossies carry anything dodgy, like malaria, so
the worst you'll get is a bite and an itch.

Don't forget to go to Efes if you haven't been already :-)