Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Mosquitos

On 7 Sep, 10:54, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

o encourage spiders. Destroy the webs daily using a feather brush, they will
then build new, more efficient ones in the dusk, ready for the mossies.

Fabulous idea. Thank you Uncle. My youngest shreeks to leave the flies
hanging around alone so that he can catch them to bring them onto a
spider web. I know ... he's a bit dark my youngest ...

o get an electric mossie killer. They really work, you put in a tablet and
plug it in the mains, it releases a gas which kills them (and also many
other smaller flies)
o get an electric swatter. Lots of fun.
o don't bother about mossie repellent. All it does is to mask your smell so
the mossies can't "see" you.

I lit lemon and lavender candles, made from pine resin, which I bring
back from home each year. I always have one on. Seems to work well
though - lemon is better than the citronella stuff, which smells
terrible I think.

o invite friends round, then the biting will be shared equally amongst you
all. They prefer blokes to women, cos blokes don't wear perfume (not the
ones I know, anyway).

))

o scented candles seem to help, outside. You need lots of them. I use lemon
ones cos they have proved to do more good than the citronella ones, and they
smell nicer.

Would you stop repeating what I've said!!! ;o)

There is a lady in Devon who makes them, can't remember her
name!

Mary makes candles, maybe she knows. Mary!?