Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Help with Lemon Tree (grown from seed)

took me 25 yrs for me to get my first flower. NEver did get any fruit. I
dumped it in favor of a store bought tree. it has goobs of fruit and the
flowers are very fragrent.

They can be forced to grow in to little bushes. Mine was 5 ft tall and and
shaped into a globe. THey benenfit greatly by taking them outdoors every
summer. Make sure you harden it before putting it in direct sunlight. Soil
needs to be slightly acidic. A dose of acid fertilizer once amonth is good.
In any long term pot growing, the soil eventually breaks down and needs
replacing or supplementing.

Your picture seems to indicate that its light starved (tall and skinny)

"Lar" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
Hello,

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania. Two years ago, I took a lemon
seed (from a store-bought lemon), stuck it in a pot with regular
potting soil, and now I have a 3-foot tall, skinny lemon tree with
nice, fragrant leaves and some thorns. My problem is: I don't know
how to take care of it from here.

Should it be cut back? How tall will this thing grow? During the
spring and summer, I leave it in an east-facing window all day, and
turn it once a day. It has never been outdoors. It grows rapidly in
the summer, and stops growing during the fall/winter. What is the best
way to take care of my "baby"? This tree has become my pride and joy,
since I never expected it to germinate, let alone grow into a tree!

Here is a photo: http://home.epix.net/~tommonger/LemonTree.jpg

Thanks!
-Tom in Scranton, PA USA

You probably will never get an edible fruit. What is growing will be the
root stock used for the parent tree.

Lar