Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jthread jthread is offline

Default lawn feed and weed

"JimR" wrote in message

"goober" wrote in message

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed for
autum

manure and compost. just make sure it's ph balanced and heated.

regards

matt

--
goober

1. An answer to your question really depends upon your location and the
type of turf which you have.

2. Generally, a weed-and-feed is unnecessary

Don't use "weed and feed" if you have any large trees. Follw directions
carefully. If your neighbors have large trees I wouldn't use weed and feed
near their house. But then again I wouldn't use weed and feed. I can't
believe people buy it.

-- it's a victory of marketing
over good practice and amounts to overuse of pesticide. Also, to keep the
"weed" part from damaging the turf, the "feed" part contains a very high
amount of soluble nitrogen, also not the best choice for good turf. If
you have so many weeds you have to weed the entire yard, best to just
start over -- otherwise, spot treat the weeds by themself and use a good
lawn fertilizer suitable for your area.

Your handle suggests you live in the south and may have St. Augustine
grass.

If it's St. A grass you don't need any weed and feed ~ just weed it. the
grass will win.

Lesco makes several good lawn fertilizers -- pick one with a moderate
amount of nitrogen, most of which is insoluble, and low potassium -- their
best is under the Lesco Professional name.

thanks.

i got some milorganite 6-2-0. about 3 weeks ago. worked well after it
watered in. just put down some dillo dirt and it really took off again. the
rain helped. nothin works like good old soil conditioner and some water.