Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default OT speaking of mozzies

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with a
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help. I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

also, start a regime of anti-histamines about two weeks before you go and
continue taking the tablets while you are away.