Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space[_2_] Space[_2_] is offline

Default OT speaking of mozzies

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:35:30 +0100, "Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use
must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

Isn't that what I said?

i don't know - did you?

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

http://www.deetonline.org/faq.php#q1

"What is DEET?

DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide) is the active ingredient in most insect
repellents available in the United States that are applied to the skin.
DEET was
developed more than 50 years ago by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for
use
by our military. It was registered for use by the general public in 1957."

More scary stuff here
http://www.deetonline.org/
--

Martin