Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default What Flower is this?

Bob Hobden wrote:

Dave, I had a good close look at the original photo and thought I could see
some "spines" seemed thicker in the middle like we were seeing all the
leaves side on so they just looked like spines.
If not, the flowers are so similar perhaps it's another member of the same
genus.
I just seem to remember seeing this plant somewhere.

Doesn't it just get you like that? You see something and are almost
sure what it is but .... I've just done a trawl of pics of both
genera and then racked my brains to get the memory cells working. The
flowers could be from any one of half a dozen genera and without any
indication of size and better defined floral characteristics, no-one
can say more than "maybe ...". If the leaves are any more than 1mm.
across and distinctly broader at the mid point, then Eutaxia it
probably is. If they are 1mm. or less across and without any
significant increase in breadth at the mid point, then it is probably
Pultenaea. The reality is that it will most likely remain one of
several possibilities. I'll admit to my preference simply because
I've grown it and immediately recognised the flowers, the way they are
carried etc. etc.