Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default at wits' end ...

On 8/9/07 14:55, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

a climber like Russian Vine ?

As you say David it depends on distance and space.

Mike

I don't know if you meant that "tongue in cheek", but strangely, that did
cross my mind. I had one at a previous house and have planted one here in
France too. It very much depends on the circumstances as to how appropriate
such a fast growing, large, climber is. Here we have a huge, 100 feet long,
two storey, derelict stone barn and this year I planted several vigorous
climbers with the intention of converting it into a "romantic ruin"
completely covered with climbers, including a Russian vine, clematis Montana
(both the white and pink), an Alba plus several other large varieties who's
names escape me at the moment. Also planted honeysuckle, wisteria, virgina
creepers and a passion flower. Hopefully, between them, they will encase the
entire barn after a few years and smother it in foliage and flowers. It
should be quite spectacular.

David.

If the Russian vine let's everything else thrive. It really is a monster!
I would never use it myself but in the OP's case, given that she's looking
into someone else's garden from her own, I think using one of those would
give nothing but trouble to both parties. He won't be too happy when his
new sapling hedging is eaten by the Russian vine......

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk