Old 08-09-2007, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default at wits' end ...

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
a climber like Russian Vine ?

As you say David it depends on distance and space.

Mike

I don't know if you meant that "tongue in cheek", but strangely, that did
cross my mind. I had one at a previous house and have planted one here in
France too. It very much depends on the circumstances as to how
appropriate such a fast growing, large, climber is. Here we have a huge,
100 feet long, two storey, derelict stone barn and this year I planted
several vigorous climbers with the intention of converting it into a
"romantic ruin" completely covered with climbers, including a Russian
vine, clematis Montana (both the white and pink), an Alba plus several
other large varieties who's names escape me at the moment. Also planted
honeysuckle, wisteria, virgina creepers and a passion flower. Hopefully,
between them, they will encase the entire barn after a few years and
smother it in foliage and flowers. It should be quite spectacular.

David.

No David it wasn't tongue in cheek really. As I said, it depends on distance
and space.

I was over in England last weekend and whilst out on a coach trip I had laid
on for the members, we saw a beautiful hedge which had Russian Vine growing
through and over it. In another instance, we have a long 6 ft high chain
link fence between Marks and Sparks and Matilan, "covered" in Russian Vine.
Looks wonderful and of course can be controlled.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.