Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phaleonopsis growing new leaves on spikes?

Congratulations. Your friend has had babies. Yes, once they have viable
roots they can be potted up, and will bear flowers identical to the original
plant.

Diana

"BruceM" wrote in message
I saw the strangest thing today At least, it was strange to me.
My frind has a florist store special. One of those generic plain jane
white, with purple throat Phals orchid sold in every flower store and
grocery store around the country. A couple of months ago it was blooming.
The spike looked like it was not putting anymore buds out, si Advised her
to cut it back to just above the second bud union after the last bloom
falls. She did.

Now she has a a leaf growing out of each bud union, and one of the leaves
has a spike growing out of the center with a tiny bud. I assume these
will eventually grow roots and can be cut, then potted?