Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default at wits' end ...

On 8/9/07 14:45, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Klara, I would ring up Environmental Health and mention the magic word
'asbestos'. You could also monitor noise levels when he's sawing or ask
him politely to keep it to certain times and days that affect you
least. Keep a diary.

Thanks, Sacha. We have been so gobsmacked that someone could be so
insensitive that thinking rationally has been difficult. It never
occurred to me that indeed asbestos might well be a magic word here....

I'd think so. It seems to me that while you're keen to keep good relations
with your neighbour, he's taking thorough advantage of your good natures!
He doesn't appear to be at all concerned about the effect his actions are
having on your lives and these things surely have to work two ways.

The diary is a great idea - though as when he's not sawing at the back
he is hammering in the front, or somewhere, so I envisage quite a tome
;-)

I was advised to do this when I had a neighbour that put a dog out at around
4am and left it there for hours to bark and bark to come in. She was, in
fact, a bit bonkers and the local police had a very thick file on her. But
the EH people told me that the keeping of the diary was essential. One of
our family was told the same thing when she had a neighbour who delighted in
waking her up in the small hours, making all sorts of unnecessary noise.
It's even possible to buy - or possibly hire - a monitor that will record
decibel levels.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk