Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Purchgdss

Default Help identifying.......

I live just 25 miles from Charlotte, NC and the native trees you see
blooming now are the Redbuds. If you drive down I-85 and look to the sides
of the road, you see them in the midst of the dormant tress,
purplish-lavendar flowers on dark, spindly branches.

YES! That's them..... I'm sorry for the assertion otherwise...... K. Now how
"illegal" is it to dig one up that's growing wild and perhaps unclaimed on a
duke power access ramp? I found the perfect size and form one growing there
and I want it sooooooooooooooo bad my teeth hurt.

This is the time of
year in the NC Piedmont when the Magnolia soulangiana and Redbuds are the
most prolific bloomers. Next come the Dogwoods. You may notice after our
cold spell this past weekend that the Magnolias will look a little dingy.
They are quite frost tender.

The one I have at work is BEAUTIFUL still. I work in Clover so maybe it wasn't
"so" bad.

"Purchgdss" wrote in message
Looking to identify two trees

One is commonly called a "tulip tree". It's blooming now in Charlotte,

nc
(zone 7) and has pink blooms but not leafing out yet.

Probably Magnolia x soulangiana

THAT'S IT! TY!

The other is apparently an indigenous tree. Has a spindly growth habit

that
blooms beautiful small purple flowers along it's long branches. Also

has
not
leafed out yet. It grows EVERYWHERE down here, but I haven't found one
small
enough and unclaimed to dig up.

Probably Paulownia tomentosa

Nope. 1 for two ain't bad tho. LOL It's not the cercis canadensis

either.
That's too red and these are really a pretty light purple.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine