Old 08-09-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default at wits' end ...

In message , Sacha
writes
It's not one that we have and none of us has heard of it. Proceed with
caution would be my advice! ;-) My reservations about leylandii are
always great but if you're going to lose sun and space, I really would
think again. I realise you would trim it etc. but its roots would take
a lot of goodness from the soil and shade the sunniest part of your
garden. Would beech do the trick? Although slower growing, they keep
their leaves on if kept at a height of about 9', even though the leaves
go brown.

--
Sacha

I'm afraid I find beech terribly depressing in the winter.... In fact,
the shade would only affect the back of the back garden, not the house,
and mainly the area where we have the compost daleks, etc... with
something eventually climbing through them and kept to 12 feet or so, it
might leylandii might just work - but we won't rush into anything!

(Sorry if this came through to you in an email: I'm so used to replying
to work emails, the fingers do it automatically....)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin