Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default at wits' end ...

On 8/9/07 17:26, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Well, it's particularly painful because we do have a good relationship
otherwise - we've looked after each other's houses, children, pets, etc.
companionably for some 30 years, and I imagine we must be reasonably
pleasant to have next-door because while since (early) retirement he has
been a never-ending source of DIY noise, smoke, etc. we barely have time
to look up from our computers, so run no machines, burn nothing, etc.
etc. - and even while the thing was going up, my husband spent some 10
hours or more sorting out their computer, etc. problems.... We would
never have imagined that it would occur to him to do this. Perhaps he
doesn't realise how obtrusive it feels, given that it's something like
120 feet from our back wall....

I think he may just not have thought about it. It sounds as if he's
happily playing in his new found freedom and is enjoying it so much, it
doesn't occur to him that not everyone else takes vicarious pleasure
from it. But while your first recourse is to talk to him - and mention
you're worried about having asbestos around! - if common sense doesn't
prevail with him, you'll have to try other avenues. It's all very
unfortunate after harmony for such a long time. ;-(
--
Sacha

Unfortunately, when he first mentioned the building of the woodshed, we
had no idea of the size and ugliness he had in mind - and now it's a bit
late, since the thing has been built. Stupidly, while it was going up I
thought it was metal corrugated sheeting (because he and his two
gardeners/odd job men were merrily drilling lots of holes all through
it): my husband has only today pointed out that it was actually asbestos
sheeting.

Well, a discussion about the use of asbestos might be the opportunity for
the removal of that and a new discussion about what is a reasonable size for
a wood shed!

But the sawing will definitely have to be a point for more discussion.

It certainly should be, IMO. Constant noise is intolerable and makes people
ill. You may just have to go into a tiny decline for a while, Klara. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk