Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 AM posted to austin.gardening
greylock greylock is offline

Default Gardening as a Living?

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:11:19 -0700, "Chris F."
wrote:

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Flowers should be marketable year round.

Talk to florists and see what they want.

See if you can find out what they pay and where they get their
material NOW.

Otherwise, I would consider herbs and spices.

Spices sell well in Texas - don't know about the culinary
possibilities in the land of snow and funny accents.