Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default at wits' end ...

On 8/9/07 18:17, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Snip
What a gem! Are you *sure* you can't make it into a cottage? ;-) Those
lovely old oak (?) lintels above doors and windows make my mouth water.
It
is just gorgeous and yes, I can see rampant vegetation is called for to
create your bower! ;-) Do you have to take the roof off for safety's
sake
or is that too dangerous in itself?

... or plant hydrangeas in the 'drip area' of the roof
- could get some good blues/mauves.

Jennifer

I like blue hydrangeas. Do hydrangeas like wet ground? They would certainly
get a good dripping when it rains as there is no guttering. What about
Winter though - it can get a bit muddy there. Would they need to be planted
in mini raised beds to help keep their roots from drowning? That is what
I've done with the climbers.

David.

It would be the iron stuff dripping off the roof they'd enjoy. Hydrangeas
need a lot of water but don't want to drown, no. Having said that, we have
what Hyams called "the Hydrangea walk" here and it's one of the wettest
areas of the garden. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk