Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default When to propagate blackberries?

In article .com,
" writes:

| Hi - I've just been reading through the group on how to propagate
| blackberries - never realised it was so easy! One thing I didn't see
| was a guide on when the best time of year to do this. I have some
| tasty thornless blackberries in my garden that I would like to get
| going in an allotment too. Is it too late to do it this year?

As Mike says, they propagate themselves by the new shoots tipping
themselves in. If they have not done it already, it is too late
for this year. Next year, you could encourage them by holding the
tips of the new shoots down on the earth with a stone or half-brick.
Don't do it too early, or you will break the shoots.

And, as Mike says, just cut the previous year's shoot off near the
new plant, transplant it and it will throw a new shoot. The old
shoot (on the old plant) will then fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.