Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Removing bamboo

On Sep 8, 7:36 pm, Persephone wrote:
OK, after chipping away at the task for weeks & weeks, the gardener
(and I) have removed all the bamboo. What is now left is stalk stubs,
and -- one assumes -- a whole underworld of roots.

Note that this was not "spreading" bamboo; I deliberately
chose a "clumping" bamboo. However, the protective "leaf" litter
cluttered everything, and the bamboo had to be cut back constantly.
Plant has just outlived its usefulness, though it did screen the
trash area. Will now have to find something that will do the same
job, but not become such a nuisance.

I browsed under keyword "bamboo removal" and
found many user comments at:

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/4170.html

ranging from burning to Roundup to ..utter despair.
Not clear whether they were on about clumping or spreading.

and at

http://www.bamboosourcery.com/cat_fr...m?id=77&row=15

in more practical terms, listing tools required and advising
against chemicals.

Have never tackled any enterprise as menacing as this.

Your wisdom solicited:

1. How deeply rooted is clumping bamboo?

2. Can mere humans dig up the roots after thoroughly
moistening the soil?

3. If not, what kind of "professional" help would be
required -- one hopes not too expen$ive.

TIA

Persephone

This is killing me. I bought 2 bamboo's and one of 'em died. I want
'em and y'all are killing them!! Isnt Life Grand???
Nan