Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

Default Pumpkins and squash questions

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 12:07:31 -0500, "Ron H" wrote:

I have a bumper crop of squash ( both Acorn and Hubbard ) and two kinds of
pumpkins ( small pie and large decoration ). How and when do I know when to
pick them? The Acorns look ripe fropm the get go but now they are sounding a
little hollow. The Hubbard start green and turn golden, do I wait for the
hollow sound too? The pumpkins are turning orange but there are still a few
green. It is getting close to the first frost time here in western Wisconsin
, should I pick everything with the first signs of frost?

Did you find these links yet?
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/hortihints/0410c.html
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/winsquash.html

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.