Old 09-09-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default OT speaking of mozzies

On 9/9/07 16:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Space writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/9/07 18:35, in article , "Space"
wrote:
take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help.

Is it antibiotics or is it simply the anti-inflammatory properties of
the steroid cream?

I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a
similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

Can you get that otc?

Yes, from a pharmacy, but they will ask you questions as to the proposed
use - eg it is not licensed for otc for use on the face.

Try also 'anti-bite' or similar - it's basically ammonia but works
well (and smells like smelling salts)

That reminds me that my ex-mil suggested hydrogen peroxide for flea bites
after we'd stayed in a very dodgy hotel travelling through France! Can I
possibly be remembering that correctly?
I'll get the hydro-cortisone cream just in case. The bite I had on my arm
in the garden two nights ago is really irritating me and has swollen
considerably, so I don't fancy that all over my arms and legs! Someone
kindly emailed me reminding me about Skin So Soft which I've used before to
great effect. Ruffie tuffie marines use it when yomping over bits of
Scotland! The trouble is that while they can sell one of the creams as an
insect repellent in USA, Avon are not allowed to do that in UK, so I have no
idea which of their creams is the right one. Too late now, I think. ;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk