Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
jellybean stonerfish jellybean stonerfish is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:03:43 -0600, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[apologies for the length, but if the subject interests you, it's a worthy
read]

[flup set to a.h.l.g.]

Omelet said:

In article . com,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Aug 15, 10:04 pm, Omelet wrote:

Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
goodpotdrainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put apotsherd over the hole or holes.

Gravel doesn't improve drainage.

I respectfully disagree.

And, you'd be wrong.

No. In a large pot with just one hole on the bottom, a good layer of
gravel covered with landscape cloth, then potting mix on top. You can
water too much and the pot can sit in a puddle without worrying about root
rot.

sf