Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Replanting a shrub bed

On 10/9/07 08:55, in article
,
" wrote:

I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !

My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

There's no reason not to plant out the shrubs now because the ground is warm
and they'll get their feet down and be off to a good start next spring. But
if by letting the ground lie fallow you mean you think it's 'tired', then
try to get hold of some rotted horse manure or even some compost from a
nursery and fork that in to give the ground a bit of body. Keep the shrubs
well-watered in dry spells.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk