Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Oooops!

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
It's a bit like those reports that say "studies have shown......." and
then
go on to report as some scientific solemnity, a piece of knowledge the
rest
of us have taken as common sense for years!

--
Sacha

Like the recent re-discovery (again) that food additives are dangerous to
children's health (and probably to adults too).

I've also been saying to the Mrs for years that scientists will discover
that many of the chemicals we are exposed to are harmful and some cancer
causing - everything from cleaning products to air fresheners to
anti-deodorants to plastic food wrappings to washing powders/detergents
etc.

I think the people of one hundred years hence will look back in horror at
some of the chemicals we deliberately expose ourselves to today. Back in
the Victorian era the original Radox bath salts contained radioactive
salts - which were thought to be good to bath in!

David.

DDT

Creosote

Asbestos ...... When I was doing my Apprenticeship in Marine Electrical
Engineering, Asbestos was applied as a 'plaster' to the pipes etc in the
Boiler and Engine Rooms. We would have 'snowball fights' with handfuls of
the stuff!! I was recently contacted by an ex Apprentice of my era who now
lives in Australia and he has contracted Asbestosis :-(( 60 years later!

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.