Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default TreeFern

On 9 Sep, 22:39, Sacha wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
tree fern
Hi
I have 1ft tree fern, do I need to bring it in for the winter.
I live in Bristol UK

Does your garden get very frosted? That's what you have to think about and
really, only you know the answer. If the answer is "very little" and not
for long, you probably don't need to worry. Ours have been down to -5 but
usually only overnight and only a few times. It's not constant here. But
if the answer is yes, it's frosty and for long periods, then gather the
fronds together, tie string around them and tie some horticultural fleece
around that which covers the trunk below the crown. If you want to be extra
careful take it indoors but I doubt that's necessary.

Yes, just like Oleanders, if worried just bring indoors - two years
are never the same. My neighbour brings her tree fern onto soil in her
garden (from a stone platform) in case of severe frost, and place it
amongst evergreens with a wall on the side for protection. If the
forecast is that bad, wrap it up.