Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Old Fiberglass Spa - New Pond?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:43:04 CST, BB
wrote:

You should be able to bond a piece of stiff flat plastic over the
holes with 5 minute epoxy. Make sure all surfaces to be bonded are
spotlessly cleaned. Be sure to apply pressure while the piece is
bonding. And then allow the epoxy to dry for at least 24 hours before
you get it wet.

George

AH! That I can find and do.... Thanks!

That sounds more like instructions for contact cement which works
better under pressure. Epoxy works better with a bit of space between
the pieces being joined. 1/16' is probably enough for what you are
doing, but you have to get the epoxy mix into the space before it
heats up to cure, and if the space is vertical that may get tricky.
May I suggest you build a dam with masking tape, or duct tape and pour
the epoxy into a cavity between the parts you wish to join. Be aware
that the epoxy gets hot (Too hot for fingers.) when curing and will
gravity flow and sometimes penetrate small openings in your taped dam.
These repairs can sometimes look ugly, but a small Dremmel tool or die
grinder with a sanding disk can smooth them over.

I don't recall trying a fiberglass and PVC join, but last month joined
a PVC well screen to a polystyrene barrel bung with epoxy and it is
working.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb