Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

Default adding peat moss

I live in Northern Illinois where (unfortunately) the native soils
contain a good deal of heavy clays. This spring I was given a dry root
hibiscus, which I planted, admitted without enough thought of
conditioning the soil in which I was planting it. The hibiscus has,
in my opinion, grown nicely this summer, although it has not
flowered. The three to four foot radius around the hibiscus is free
of other plants or shrubs. The soil in this area seems to be quite
compacted and is showing some large cracks. I was wondering whether
it would be wise to careful dig up the soil in this area and mix in
some peat moss with the soil that is there. Is this is a good idea?
Would be benefit the hibiscus? Can it be done without disturbing and
damaging the hibiscus? Any one have an idea for the best method for
doing such a thing?