Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default Home-Made fertilisers

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:23:04 +0100, John Vanini wrote
(in article ):

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...

John, I do think that part of the problem is that you always top-post. If
you snip out the irrelevant bits of whatever you are replying to (as I
have
done here), and post underneath the point you are particularly replying
to,
it makes it much easier to follow the conversation and much less confusing
about who is replying to whom.

snip

I've produced this post the way you suggested and, as you said, the way most
posters do it. No problem! I'm happy doing that and will do all mine that
way in future!

Glad you weren't offended at the suggestion :-)

I did it the other way, strangely enough, for the very reasons you give as I
felt that top posting made it clearer and easier to read. I found myself
getting irritated with some emails,

Emails are very different, because you probably know the message that is
being replied to (if you see what I mean). On usenet, messages reach us at
different times and in a different order. I only see unread messages, so it
is useful to just see a snippet to see what is being answered. If I need to
see the whole posting, on my newsreader it is easy to find it and read the
whole thing again.

I suppose not enough use was being made of the "snip" facility but I'm
fairly new to newsgroups!

Yes, one of the worst crimes on usenet!

However, I'm quite happy doing what everyone else prefers! I just thought I'd

explain my reasons! Please don't be offended by my long-winded reply - the
topic, gardening, is the important thing!

I agree there - and you've done nothing to offend, I can assure you.

After all that, I hope I've done this one right!

Ten out of teng

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation