Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ceanothus expired

On Sep 10, 2:24 pm, Steve Wolstenholme
wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:56:04 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"

wrote:
Ceanothus do just die when they reach a certain age and
although the cause may well be fungal it is not necessaraly going to affect
anything else, clear the ground revitilise the soil and if replacing with
another evergreen wait till spring.

Any idea what the "certain age" is?

I've had one for about 15 years.

Dunno exactly. This one was more than 20 years old, maybe 25 years.

According to some websites there is a slow burning fungal infection
that kills them all eventually. I was a bit concerned at the rapidity
of its demise and was worried that it might infect other things in the
border.

There is a lovely daphne odora not too far away and I would hate to
lose that the same way.

Regards,
Martin Brown