Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Mystery Plant identified!

On 10/9/07 18:51, in article ,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:40:52 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/9/07 18:23, in article
,
"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:46:56 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I think we must have brought seeds back from Hawaii about 5 years ago.

Have you brought any seeds back from South Africa? I think that's the
likely place to find Ruspolia.

Steve

I haven't been there since long before I met Ray and Ray has never been
there. However, we do have friends and customers who have a house there but
we've had the plant longer than they've had the plant! Ruspolia are grown
in Hawaii too, so if we got hold of it ourselves, I think that's the more
likely source. I understand from David that they're v. popular in
California, too and we were there about 5 years ago.

Ah I see. I thought you were talking about collecting seeds in the
wild.

Steve

You can't - legally - collect seeds in the wild from Hawaii because you have
to bring them back into USA. They X-ray your luggage at Hawaii airports to
make sure you're not carrying back illegal plant material. You can buy
seeds and cuttings with phytosanitary certificates but I really cannot
remember if this was one of them.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk