Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] save_antartica@yahoo.com is offline

Default What is the best way to protect wood from the elements?

I am looking to build a couple of things from left-over wood from a
recent addition to our house. I was thinking of Bird houses and Bat
houses, as well as cold Frame and a vegetable garden fence. But I
have a couple of questions.
1) Is it safe to use building contruction wood (plywood, studs,
etc.)? It is very likely that some of teh wood has been traited with
various chemicals... (I have no way to verify that...)
2) What is the best way to protect the various items from the rain,
sun, etc? What is the best paint? dye? etc. Anything that would be
safe for the environment?
3) Also I have leftover shingles (with an asphalte base), would these
be safe for the roof cover of the bird/bat houses?
Any suggestions is welcome!
Thanks.
Save_Antartica