Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BruceM BruceM is offline

Default Phaleonopsis growing new leaves on spikes?

The photos are the last three at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/H...ids/index.html

Learn something everyday. I always thought Keiki's were of the Basal variety
until made me read a bit more on them.

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
The kiekie is not unusual but it sounds like where the spike is
originating is unusual.

Is there any chance of a picture? If so post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or post it somewhere else and give us a link
to go to.

Bob
"BruceM" wrote in message
news
I thought (silly me) Keiki's always originated at the main stalk (?). not
out on the spike. Now that I have research it a lot more, I see this is
not unusual for Phals.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Congratulations. Your friend has had babies. Yes, once they have viable
roots they can be potted up, and will bear flowers identical to the
original plant.

Diana

"BruceM" wrote in message
I saw the strangest thing today At least, it was strange to me.
My frind has a florist store special. One of those generic plain jane
white, with purple throat Phals orchid sold in every flower store and
grocery store around the country. A couple of months ago it was
blooming. The spike looked like it was not putting anymore buds out, si
Advised her to cut it back to just above the second bud union after the
last bloom falls. She did.

Now she has a a leaf growing out of each bud union, and one of the
leaves has a spike growing out of the center with a tiny bud. I assume
these will eventually grow roots and can be cut, then potted?