Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Ceanothus expired

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:56:04 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Ceanothus do just die when they reach a certain age and
although the cause may well be fungal it is not necessaraly going

affect
anything else, clear the ground revitilise the soil and if
replacing with
another evergreen wait till spring.

Any idea what the "certain age" is?

I've had one for about 15 years.

Steve

If the going is easy and they have grown quickly they tend to go
quicker but
even in dry ground 15 is getting to old age, the one exception I
have
noticed is Ceanothus Trewithian Blue which is a big tree like plant
and you
do seem to be able to cut this back hard and prolong its life
somewhat.

Last time I went to Powys Castle (about 7 or 8 years ago) there was a
Trewithian Blue, said to be around 70 yrs old there - and it looked
every day of it, not really very pretty. Otherwise my experience is
like everybody else's, they don't really make old bones.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp