Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default What is the best way to protect wood from the elements?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking to build a couple of things from left-over wood from a
recent addition to our house. I was thinking of Bird houses and Bat
houses, as well as cold Frame and a vegetable garden fence. But I
have a couple of questions.
1) Is it safe to use building contruction wood (plywood, studs,
etc.)? It is very likely that some of teh wood has been traited with
various chemicals... (I have no way to verify that...)
2) What is the best way to protect the various items from the rain,
sun, etc? What is the best paint? dye? etc. Anything that would be
safe for the environment?
3) Also I have leftover shingles (with an asphalte base), would these
be safe for the roof cover of the bird/bat houses?
Any suggestions is welcome!
Thanks.
Save_Antartica

My thoughts are a garden fence is seldom a privacy fence, so you're talking
fence posts. Not rails, stiles, and such. If that's the case, treated
lumber is needed.

Most treated lumber has a greenish tint to it. But, not all. Any hardware
used for attaching anything to treated lumber should be stainless steel, or
zinc coated steel at the least. Should not be used to frame a birdhouse as
chemicals in it tend to gas and leech from the wood.

All wood will eventually rot, including treated lumber. More so left out in
the weather.

All painted, varnished, and water-sealed lumber should be left to dry in sun
for a few months if for a birdhouse. Do not expose to rain or excessive
moisture conditions during that time.

All painted surfaces exposed to weather will eventually need repainting.
Sometimes, an overlooked area will flake before noticed resulting in rot and
exposure to the elements. A wood that will hold up best is cedar or redwood
so you can catch it in time.

For a birdhouse, I would not worry about the small amount of residue from
any coating I used on it affecting the environment. More important, will it
affect the birds themselves?

Both asphalt and composition/fiberglas shingles have asphalt in it. Both
are safe for the roof covering of a birdhouse. Google "birdhouse plans".
Dave